Bits from Bill

Technology thoughts leaking from the brain of "Bill Pytlovany"

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Many Surprised by Windows XP Usage

I’ll admit I’m a little surprised at how many copies of Windows XP are still loading when computers are turned on. According to my most recent blog statistics almost 25% of you are still depending on Windows XP.

statsjuly2013bitsfrombill


The data from WinPatrol.com says 21.5% of our visitors use Windows XP. statsjuly2013winpatrol* Numbers will vary for other websites.

I’m pleased to see XP users are still downloading WinPatrol because they may benefit more than anyone by its protection. This will especially be true next April when Microsoft drops security updates for Windows XP or now if you haven’t installed Service Pack 3.

The current official Microsoft warning is

“To continue receiving security updates for Windows, make sure that you're running Windows XP with Service Pack 3 (SP3). The support for Windows XP with Service Pack 3 ends April 8, 2014. If you’re running Windows XP with Service Pack 3 (SP3) after support ends, to ensure that you will receive all important security updates for Windows, you need to upgrade to a later version, such as Windows 8.”

This end of security updates also applies to Office 2003.  The Windows XP “end of support” date has already been extended more than once.

xplaunchThis isn’t unreasonable considering the official Windows XP Launch Party in NYC was in October, 2001. I recall the event because it was six weeks after 9/11. Mayor Rudy Giuliani encouraged Microsoft to help show the world his city was safe. Things were still a little tense. I remember someone from the security staff questioning why my badge said Bill but my drivers license said William.

 

When Windows XP ends support, users will need to upgrade or risk being a target just by being connected to the Internet.  Initially, XP users rejected upgrading because they hated Windows Vista. While Windows 8 has had a few bad reviews I feel more productive and safe with my newest Windows 8 machine.

User Account Control was introduced in Windows Vista but never lived up to its expectation. As predicted by many, no tool will be 100% effective if people ignore it.  Users who upgrade to WinPatrol PLUS are able to find out more information on a program when it tries access secure locations on their system. WinPatrol is also a choice so users are more likely to pay attention to Scotty’s bark.

In an article in Ars Technica called “Five important security apps for Linux, Mac OS X and Windows”, WinPatrol was chosen as a way to block various types of malware, “For Windows Vista, the watchdog of choice is none other than the unloved User Account Control (UAC), and for Windows XP, we recommend WinPatrol.”

In a review by The Windows Club the author says, “WinPatrol, in my opinion, is a freeware that allows you to better manage the computer, when compared to Windows UAC.”

Microsoft has continued to make advances in security and protection to keep users safe. Even though it’s even older than Windows XP, WinPatrol will also continue to improve its experience while offering protection and information to users even if they stick with Windows XP.

 

Update 7/23/2013:
I was surprised to see a few days after posting my stats Microsoft was also focusing on their Windows XP fans, especially business users. Click the image below for complete information.

XPRetirement
Thanks to Windows Observer for the tip

Share on Facebook


6 Comments:

Blogger Jerry said...

Hi Bill,

I'm one of those still running XP on a Dell Mini 9. Yes, it's outdated but for a $35 computer that works, I'm loathe to throw it away. I'll probably see what I can do to switch to Linux.

Jerry

8:31 AM  
Anonymous Elizabeth A said...

I like my laptop, it's 5 years old, it came with Vista and I downgraded it to XP. I don't think the specs will run the newer OS, it's a Dell Inspiron. Guess I'll have to think about how exposed this makes it.

1:18 PM  
Anonymous Bob said...

What if my old machine running XP is not able to handle Windows 7 or 8?
And if I can't afford a new machine?
What are my options? Buy a low cost "refurbished" machine?

5:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I admit I am still running XP on two boxes. The only machine I have capable of running 7 is a laptop, which came with it. I am using this "death watch" time from Microsoft to gain proficiency on Linux and am making the switch. With the corporate decisions Microsoft has made along with revelations about the NSA I am ever more convinced I am making the right move.

Lt

12:23 PM  
Anonymous -TRUG said...

Actually I love good ol' XP. For me, it has been the first and only truly stable (meaning recoverable at least), version of Windows since the beginning. And the old saying does apply; "If it ain't broke, don't fix the durn thing"!! (chuckle).

However I didn't just fall off the turnip truck either. I do realize that perspective is a bit naive from a guru's point of view. I just hate for OS vendors to dictate when and how we spend our money on their products via threats of discontinued support. Although I grant you, it has long been that way. Its just that in the past upgrades were very welcome since previous versions of Windows were shaky at best. Since XP is relatively solid, its painful to move away from it into the perilous realm of uncertainty.

I will have to evaluate what the future may hold in store though. Love it though I do, progress is progress, I suppose.

-TRUG
The Reluctant Upgrade Guy : )

10:32 AM  
Blogger I love snook said...

Hi Bill,
With crossed fingers I say that, perhaps, the crooks will realize that those of us too poor to buy new machines running Win 7, or too smart to buy Win 8 machines won't be good targets for their mis-deeds. (too broke to have something to steal or too smart to fall for their lies.)

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home