Bits from Bill

Technology thoughts leaking from the brain of "Bill Pytlovany"

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Old Birthdayware Versions Continue To Work

I’ve created a number of programs over the last 25 years as a programmer but my favorite will always be WinPatrol. The feedback from WinPatrol users has always been strong motivation to continue making Scotty the best he can be.


Originally, WinPatrol was a program I developed in my spare time. Until a few years ago, BillP Studios was under contract with a number of companies including AOL, Microsoft, Gateway, Epson and ABC/Disney. They all paid well and on time so WinPatrol was something I was able to give away for free.


Just for fun, I added what we call an easter egg to the early WinPatrol versions.   On April 24th, when folks first loaded WinPatrol a message would pop up letting them know it was BillP’s birthday.  It invited everyone to send an Email if they were pleased with the free WinPatrol. 


Eventually, I had to remove the message because I couldn’t handle all the Email.  It’s been over six years but apparently, a number of people continue to use really old versions of WinPatrol. Last night when the date changed in Australia and New Zealand, the birthday Emails started to come in. This morning some more came in from our friends across the pond and they continue to trickle in.


So, thank you to everyone who has been with WinPatrol us so long. Thank you for the email and feel free to download the newest free version.  Please don’t feel like you need to Email me just because I mention it here. Like the hobbits, I believe in the tradition of giving to others when it’s your birthday. For those of you who just have to know, the answer is 52.


Ultimately, this also just goes to prove my point.  Some people are just happy with what works and they don’t care about auto updates!


Update:  Thanks to a long time WinPatrol fan Mike who sent me a screen shot from WinPatrol 4.0.2.8 which he says continues to use it daily.


Old Birthdayware Message in WinPatrol version 4.0.2.8

Share on Facebook


6 Comments:

Blogger TeMerc said...

goo63tem69Happy Birthday Bill!!

I'm right behind ya, with the big 50 coming in a couple of months.

Hope you have a great day.

Tom\TeMerc

12:21 PM  
Blogger Corrine said...

Happy Birthday, Bill!

For the record, I'm a few "Bits ahead of Bill". lol

5:30 PM  
Blogger Corrine said...

Here's your "Birthday Thread" at Security Cadets: http://forum.securitycadets.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=2457&view=findpost&p=9668

7:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing wrong with being a few 'bits ahead of Bill'. I am a few bytes behind. :P

Happy Birthday Bill. Have a great day.

7:19 PM  
Blogger JeanInMontana said...

Happy birthday Bill!! You have a bit on me.LOL

7:45 PM  
Blogger Gordon Bennet said...

You bet - Happy Birthday, Bill. I'd be lost without WinPatrol. Thank you for the birthday gift! I just turned 60 - it's great that you young blokes help us old dogs to learn a few new tricks.
Dave N.

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home