Bits from Bill

Technology thoughts leaking from the brain of "Bill Pytlovany"

Monday, August 07, 2006

AOL Legitimizes Spam

I guess I knew it was only a matter of time before AOL added me to those users who have just about had enough. As one of the architects of America Online I've always recognized their value over the poor treatment of customers.  AOL has made huge changes in hopes of increasing their user base but they continue to shoot themselves in the foot trying to be profitable. If they lose me that’s certainly not a good sign. 

While the internet community is laughing at the most recent embarrassing, “I want to cancel AOL” video, AOL has started to encourage and legitimize E-mail from vendors who pay the toll.  The Email below arrived today as AOL Certified Mail via their Goodmail Email system I wrote about earlier this summer. (More Info)  According to previous reports RealAge.com paid up to 25 cents for each user who gets this unsolicited Email.

Recent sample of AOL legitimate SPAM

I can say without any doubt,  I never signed up on RealAge.com to receive their spam, nor did I ever give them permission to use my Email address. I could have sworn there was a law against this.

Share on Facebook


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home